“That’s the best worship service we’ve ever had! Thanks so much for your help,” the pastor says to you. Aren’t those the words you’d like to hear?
I remember what it was like learning anything I could concerning live audio production. The day I finally got a good mix on the pastor’s acoustic guitar, I realized I had no idea what to do with his voice! Add in the stress caused by the voice in my head saying, “don’t mess up” and I was a nervous wreck.
Yet, despite the demands of church audio production, so often, the sound tech is left to train themselves. No guidance, no instruction…no road map.
You have a lot of demands and responsibilities on your shoulders when you are behind the mixer, I know. Now take away the stress you feel. Remove any uncertainty about volume levels or how you should mix the band. You have the monitor mix set right. The musicians are happy. The congregation is fully engaged in worship. And, the pastor’s thrilled you are behind the mixer.
You found your road map.
What You’ll Learn:
- Discover the roadmap for navigating through the detailed work of audio production. The guide walks you through every step of audio production from when you walk in the door to when you leave. You’ll even learn what to do during the rest of the week.
- Learn the key methods for successful church audio production and discover how most occur outside of the sound booth. You’ll learn the important aspects of professional live audio production so you are producing high quality results.
- How to produce a church service which keeps all eyes focused upfront by avoiding a host of amateur mistakes. You’ll be able to avoid the mistakes that disrupt a church service or lead to a sub-par audio mix.
- Quickly and easily learn technical concepts without being bored to death. Many of my readers love my writing for this very reason.
- Learn the simple steps for creating a good music mix week-after-week. You’ll use this easily repeatable process for creating a solid music mix every time. You’ll even learn how to get the pastor’s voice to sound great.
- Discover how you can meet the needs of the pastor, worship leader, and the congregation before anyone has a chance to complain. You’ll be building trust, creating a happier work environment, and you’ll discover the nuances of working in a *church* production environment.
What You’ll Receive:
- Each chapter, in this 330+ page guide, details exactly what you need to know, why you need to know it, and how you can apply it. You’ll develop confidence in every area of audio production.
- A step-by-step guide that walks you through setting up the stage, stepping into the sound booth, and going through the mixing process.
- Pictures and audio examples you need for a clear understanding of a given topic. For example, you’ll hear the results of phase problems caused by microphone orientations.
- Chapter assignments which give you ways of applying the chapter’s content to your unique situation. And chapter quizzes for re-enforcing what you have learned.
- One of the most important discoveries since the beginning of time…all of the unspoken audio production needs and expectations of everyone within the church walls. You’ll find out how to create an amazing worship environment while you have the support of the worship leader, the musicians, and the pastor.
- The knowledge that you can say “yes, I know what all those knobs do.” You’ll learn how to master the mixer.
You’ll Also Get 9 Bonus Resources ($75 Value):
- The 12 Steps to the Sound Check: Avoid missing crucial details with this easy-to-follow guide you can use for your sound check process.
- The Mixing Checklist: A handy reference guide for establishing your distinct mix week-after-week.
- The Church Service Checklist: Don’t miss a thing with this quick-reference checklist. It covers getting information from the band before the day of the service and everything else you should be doing when you aren’t behind the mixer.
- Two Full Band Frequency Charts: Great for quick reference for seeing where instruments fall in the frequency range and the problem frequency areas.
- The Drum Mixing Primer: The primer covers everything from the pieces of the drum kit to mic’ing and mixing both acoustic and electronic drum kits.
- EQ Starting Points: The key frequency ranges for boosting and cutting instruments and vocals. A good place to start when you need a bit of inspiration. Even experienced techs have found this helpful!
- EQ Reference Cards: An easy way to keep track of your EQ settings for each person.
- 18 Tips on the Art of Mixing: Learn my key strategies for creating a great mix no matter what the venue.
- The Service Scorecard: Track your improvement from week-to-week. The scorecard also works as a checklist.
What Others Are Saying:
Paul Jollineau, sound tech
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Vernie Neece, sound tech
Fort Worth, Texas
Dewayne Gimeson, sound tech
Luke Lockett, sound tech
Isle of Lewis, Scotland
Beau Brown, technical director
Use as a Step-by-Step Guide
Ever feel like you’re not sure what to do next? I’ve got you covered. You’ll learn each step in mixing, from the sound check process to active mixing during the service. The book is arranged so not only do you learn step-by-step but you can easily jump to the spot in the book if you need a quick refresher. PLUS, the bonus Church Service Checklist and Mixing Checklist serve as great guides to pull out and keep in the sound booth for quick reference.
What You’ll Learn in Audio Essentials for Church Sound
Complete church audio training is more than using microphones and the mixing board. Successful audio engineers know there is a lot more than microphones, cables, and mixers.
There are six major areas of learning in this guide;
1. YOUR PURPOSE
This is your key to success in church audio production. It took me years to figure this one out on my own. Your purpose is surprisingly simple and not at all what you’d expect.
- Discover how following your purpose helps you meet other people’s expectations.
- Learn how the three-part purpose statement drives your actions, helping you avoid problems before they occur.
- Find out what can happen when you don’t follow the three-part purpose statement.
2. SETTING UP THE STAGE FOR THE BEST SOUNDS
You can’t mix a great sound if you don’t have great sounds coming in. Like the old adage; garbage in equals garbage out.
- Learn the best microphone techniques and why microphone choice is your first step in getting a great sound.
- Learn how to keep the stage volume down for a better mixing environment and better house sound.
- Discover the optimal methods for mixing monitors for musicians.
- Learn how you can set up the stage for easier mixing at the mixing board.
3. THE ART AND SCIENCE OF CHURCH AUDIO
You work in both the realm of science and creativity when you’re working in church audio, from setting up microphones to mixing the band to…everything!
- Discover how your ears alter how you mix and how to deal with it.
- Learn how you can sculpt the different properties of sound.
- Learn how you can apply your own style of mixing while still giving the congregation a joyful sound!
4. THE EQUIPMENT
The sound booth is full of equipment which you must know how to use.
- Learn about the major piece of equipment and how it’s used in audio production.
- Find out all about the different types of cables used within the sound booth.
- Learn all about the sound board, from the host of knobs and faders to all of the inputs and outputs. You will master your mixer.
5. CREATING THE RIGHT MIX
What if you had a method for creating a solid mix time and time again? I’ve got you covered.
- Learn the process for running a sound check so the musicians get what they need and you have plenty of time for establishing the mix.
- Learn the step-by-step process for creating a general mix and then sculpting that into your own distinct mix. It’s so easy; you’ll be doing it without thinking.
- Discover how active mixing during the service can make the difference between a good mix and a great one.
- Learn the tricks to making the spoken voice sound clear and easy to understand.
6. MEETING EXPECTATIONS
You’ve got to make a lot of people happy; the pastor, the worship leader, the musicians, the tech crew, and the congregation. You can do this when you know what they expect of you.
- Learn how meeting expectations isn’t the same as meeting needs and how you can do both.
- Learn the unspoken expectations and how to keep your pastor happy.
- Learn my tips, from over 20 years of mixing church audio, for giving people what they need and expect without having to ask for it.
Is it easy to read?
I own a stack of books that require a degree in applied mathematics to comprehend. THIS BOOK IS NOT LIKE THAT! If you’ve read my blog, you know that I write in a way that anyone can understand. My belief is that if you can’t understand what I’m writing then I’m not helping you. And I want you to learn and succeed. For this reason, the book steps you through technical concepts in an easy-to-understand way that my blog readers have loved for years.
In less than 1 minute, you’ll have instant access to:
- The 36 chapters of audio essentials, so you can learn everything I would personally teach you.
- The step-by-step guide to building your music mix, so you’ll have a solid mix by the time the sound check is over.
- The keys to meeting everyone’s expectations where you’ll learn how you can meet the specific needs of the pastor, the worship leader, the congregation, and MY needs if I was your tech director.
- The 9 bonus documents ($75 Value). These documents will give you the reference material you need as well as give you insight into the art of mixing.
- Over 330 pages of essential information, instantly downloaded to you, that will make you a great resource for your church.
Brian Gowing, technical director and church audio / video consultant
My 30-Day ‘No Surprises’ Money Back Guarantee
Audio Essentials has everything you need for producing a solid mix and enabling you to meet everyone’s expectations. You also get the 9 bonuses including; the checklists, the charts, and my 18 Tips on the Art of Mixing. Those 18 tips alone will significantly boost your skill as an audio mixer. Pick it up today and I guarantee your next time behind the mixer will be a whole lot better than your last. And hey, if you don’t like it, let me know and I’ll refund your money.
If you still aren’t sure if this is for you, then check out the full table of contents. You’ll see the 6 different sections of the book and the 36 chapter titles. You’ll see why Audio Essentials for Church Sound has been sold in over 30 countries!
About the Author
Chris Huff has been working in live sound for over 20 years, in roles varying from volunteer sound tech to church Technical Director. His web site, behindthemixer.com, has been described as an “amazing source of knowledge” regarding both audio production training and in navigating the unique church environment. He’s often a guest writer for online and print magazines including ProSound Web and Religious Product News. In his spare time, he can be found replying to emails from church techs asking for help.